Mar 9, 2010

3/10: North Carolina Tarheel Bears

These bears are a little different because they are made for the family of a young man who is serving in Iraq.  A friend was over and admired some bears I had just finished making. She felt the life force in them and understood the comfort they would bring to the family members.  

Later she was telling my about her cousin who was going to be leaving for Iraq soon and how anxious her relatives were about his leaving to serve our country. I offered to make a bear for them to have as comfort until he returned.  With the holidays and then a trip for her and a trip for me, it took awhile to get these bears made, but they are complete now.

This was my first time to work with T-shirts and I was a little apprehensive. Turns out they are a bit easier to work with in many ways because of the stretch factor. I smile at that because the stretch factor is what I was concerned about. I did need to interface every piece of the pattern in order for it to work. Must make a mental note of that for future bears!

9 comments:

  1. Fabulous - you are getting very creative. I like the ears on the dark one.

    Margo

    ReplyDelete
  2. The moment I signed on my breath was taken away by how wonderful these look! I was thinking that I liked the fabric because it looked soft and warm and huggable... which I think are all the elements to bring comfort, besides the meaning that would be in the bears. Not to mention the LOVE that obviously has been put into every stitch by you.

    I would love to see these recipients faces when they receive them. Will you be giving them in person or mailing them?

    They are absolutely beautiful Sassy. How do your shirts fit with those giant angel wings anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job, I love all of them, and the thought that goes with them. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laurie, these are wonderful! It's been a long time since I've visited here, so had a lot of catching up to do. I was especially touched by the story of the bear you did for Terry. The way you are able to "connect" with the loved one is heartwarming, to say the least.

    Bless you Laurie, for the joy you bring to others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your sweet comments, friends!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to more stories of this holy work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just popping back in to see if anything new was posted. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these! So thoughtful of you to offer to make these to comfort the family! I agree that you are getting very creative with them! :) Good job Laurie, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laurie - I had no idea you did these! And they are so adorable... when is the next bear-making class? I want to try one! :) -jean

    ReplyDelete